Proposal for Fedora 9 - Games-Emulator-Snes

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 05:09:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 11:53 PM, masch <the.masch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> What about games on Fedora? Is it possible to include ZSnes emulator
> en fedora repos.?
> The home pages it's: http://www.zsnes.com/ and the program it's hosted
> in soundforge i'm think there is not problem with legal issues.

I am not in charge of these decisions, so I can't give you an answer,
but I can give you a few questions that might help you.

1) Is the code entirely unencumbered by patents in the US.  That is to
say, by emulating an aspect of the SNES system, it emulates a patented
algorithm that is verboten.

2) Are there any ROMs that are likewise patent and copyright
unencumbered that can also be distributed with Fedora?  If there
aren't, it's hard to see why Z-SNES would be usable in Fedora.

If you can't answer yes to both of these questions, I would say the
best place to look to package zsnes would be 'that other repository'.
(I'll give you a hint, it's name is Livna).  They package many things
that can't go into Fedora directly.  If you live outside of the US,
you personally will likely have no legal issues to worry about.

-Yaakov