firefox vs epiphany

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Dec 3 07:09:27 UTC 2007

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:41 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
>> I believe that as epiphany requires firefox it is saner to have firefox
>> as default. This could however IMHO change once the epiphany will be
>> built against xulrunner. IMHO, if it will be smaller than firefox, as in
>> how much MB will it need, we should use it at least in the desktop live
>> spin.
>>
>> At least for me the only functionality it lacks is absence of sane
>> session saving (you need to killall epiphany to make it remember the
>> session).
>
> On our school system, we offer both firefox and epiphany (with epiphany
> being the default).  In Sabayon (Gnome's user profile editor), Firefox
> integration leaves much to be desired.  Any attempts to set bookmarks
> don't get properly saved and you are also unable to save whether or not
> certain toolbars are shown (does anyone actually *use* the Bookmarks
> toolbar).  Firefox also takes a relatively long time to start and it's
> awkward to use when students are logged into more than one computer at a
> time.

Ever since Netscape acquired the Personal Bookmark Toolbar, I have
created hierarchial folders of bookmarks, with the primary categories of
bookmarks being directly on the personal toolbar.  I do not ever create
any bookmarks that are not on the toolbar or subfolders of the toolbar,
and I've often wondered if anyone else out there ever set bookmarks
outside of the bookmark toolbar.  ;o)

I just assumed everyone used the bookmark toolbar exclusively (in any
web browser) by default for ages now due to the great utility it
provides.  Perhaps I was wrong, and there's one person out there who
doesn't use it.  Doh!  ;o)

Using the "Foxmarks" firefox addon, I synchronize my firefox bookmarks
to a local ftp server (http and https also supported), and share
bookmarks between all of my computers running firefox, including sharing
between operating systems.  So my bookmark toolbar is unified throughout
the house.  Works great.

> On the flip side, Epiphany is missing the search window and all Firefox
> extensions, which means that I really prefer Firefox for my use.  If
> Epiphany would include the search window, that would probably be enough
> for me to use it for everyday things.

Yeah, if Epiphany could use all firefox extensions, and include all of
the features firefox has which I use that Epiphany doesn't have, it'd
probably be something I could try using for everyday productivity.  ;o)

Mind you, Epiphany is great for doing a quick search online, or for
reading a recipe while preparing a meal, with less memory overhead than
firefox.  That leaves a lot more memory for nautilus to gobble up rather
than having to wait a bit longer for swap thrashing while nautilus gets
swapped out when firefox loads. ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris

Come and join us on the #fedora8 IRC help forum on irc.freenode.net