firefox vs epiphany

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Dec 3 07:44:21 UTC 2007

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> I just poked around with epiphany a few minutes ago before writing this,
> and found it lacks various features that I would consider "must have"
> for my own personal use, which firefox has, and that's ignoring the
> plethora of existing firefox plugins I use currently.  If I add the
> firefox plugins I use, epiphany becomes much less attractive to me. Mind
> you, in no way am I trying to "prove" anything to anyone else in saying
> so, nor do I feel the need to.  I'm perfectly happy just continuing to
> use that which works best for me, and which meets my own needs, and
> avoiding epiphany, which very much does not meet my needs, and I figure
> the original poster above probably feels the same way. ;o)
>
> Ultimately, which browser should be the default depends on the overall
> goals of the distribution, and should take into account all sorts of
> criteria.  Said "criteria" is going to be coming from very different
> groups of users with very very different goals and requirements.  There
> will never be one solution that is going to please everybody really.

While I *really* try to migrate from Firefox to Epiphany with each
GNOME/Fedora release and fail each time, going back to FF for whatever
missing feature, I think this is a discuss worth having: for other cases
(like BitTorrent, where the default was changed to Transmission, which I
absolutely love) we have by default the simpler, "less featured", but
better integrated and easier to use application, leaving for the expert
user, who need the extra-features, to change the default.