Bootup speed for F8

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 21:08:25 UTC 2007

Am Sonntag, den 02.12.2007, 22:58 -0800 schrieb Andrew Farris:
> Stewart Adam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 23:40 +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> >> Depends on how you define boot time. If you say boot is done when the
> >> system is interactive, you cut several seconds.
> >>
> >> "Other OS:es" obviously use this approach, the perceptual being what
> >> matters.
> >>
> >> Surely, this must be fixable, it'd be such a boost..
> >>
> >> Linus
> > That's exactly what I mean - An early login can make the boot seem to
> > boot much faster even if it really isn't. Waiting is what makes things
> > seem long; the faster the user interacts, the faster things seem.
> >
> > Stewart
>
> Sure thats true, but perception is also just a fake improvement, and once the
> user gets used to seeing the login earlier...

I want to login more quickly and start gnome-terminal, sometimes
Firefox. What do other people want to do?

> they'll get more and more
> discontent with how long it takes to be usable after they logged in (afterall

Better stay away from that slippery slope of progress then!

> they *already logged in*).  For a great example of why this can be frustrating,
> install a copy of Vista; its 'boot time' is great,

Yep. It's really fast, versus Fedora which takes a couple of minutes.

>  but you login and wait... and
> wait... and wait.  When you do see the desktop you still can't do anything
> useful

I can load putty or Firefox. That's quite useful.

> with it because the system is still so heavily loaded with background
> processes starting.  Its much the same with xp, but vista made it even worse,
> while the 'boot time' is even lower.

Works for me. Resume takes just a few seconds too.