network manager command-line control?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Dec 4 02:36:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 04:14:25PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Yup, but that's unlikely to actually happen anytime soon, particularly
> > for this model of laptop.
> Well, if somebody doesn't do it, it's going to get harder and harder to
> use that functionality then with newer releases of the kernel or other
> parts.

The sonypi controller in this particular laptop (a Vaio U101) is somehow
odd. Perhaps something's not getting initialized right, or something else is
wrong... worked fine in Windows, but under Linux, many of the buttons send
identical events. I worked with the driver maintainer a whole ago but we
couldn't get it figured out. The wireless switch seems to be one of the
things that at least sends a unique event, but I can't promise that it's
something that's generally useful. Hence my hesitation.

> > Having a general interface lets one work around all sorts of similar cases,
> > some of which may not be associated with ACPI events.
> The general interface for rfkill switches _is_ the rfkill layer in the

I meant a general interface to control NetworkManager -- not just disabling
wireless, but an easily scriptable way to do anything one can do by
clicking.