InstantMirror-0.2 Release

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Tue Dec 4 16:22:51 UTC 2007

> Perhaps if httpd were re-tooled to setup virtual hosts in that manner?
> or should I have put my virtual hosts in the conf.d directory? I just
> seemed cleaner to separate sites from what seemed like modular
> configs..
>
> Anyway the point of this rambling is if we had something like that,
> system that use httpd/apache could add a virtual host config to
> httpd/virtual.d/ and not step on each others toes.
>
> --
> Nathanael D. Noblet

If it was expected that InstantMirror was to be very popular, or
there was a large number of other packages that would make use of
<VirtualHost> directives, it might make sense to modify the default
apache configuration to be more "virtual host friendly." As it
stands, I think some prudent suggestions in the provided
InstantMirror.conf file ( and perhaps renaming it ) is the best plan.

"Persoanl File Sharing" aka gnome-user-share would be the only other
"popular" package that might benefit from a "virtual host friendly"
apache, but it spawns apache from a completely separate
configuration, so it shouldn't be considered here. However I might
not be aware of other packages in "Everything" that _should_ be
considered.

Anyway, I was able to test my suggestions on two different servers
with two different sets of configuration files in conf.d, and my
recommendations seem to work well in both cases. I guess that means
this package is thoroughly tested ;)

If I could make one other suggestion about InstantMirror, it would be
to include a sample.repo file in /usr/share/doc/InstantMirror-x/ or
throw it into /etc/yum.repos.d/ with enabled=0.

Experienced admins should really know this config file stuff, but I
run into a lot of generally competent computer people that are new to
Linux and need a bit a of hand-holding -- hand-holding such as well
commented sample configuration files. Sensible defaults, right ?

BTW, InstantMirror is much simpler, lighter weight and easier to use
than WSUS. Although WSUS has other abilities, InstantMirror has a
good 50% of the functionality of WSUS. This package may seem
innocuous, if you mentioned WSUS in the same breath as InstantMirror,
it might warrant a mention as a feature, at least targeted at some
new-to-Linux admins.

Charles Dostale