New package cvs requests. opt out of cvsextras commit rather than in?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Dec 5 12:25:00 UTC 2007

On 05.12.2007 13:02, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 17:10 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> I think open by default is reasonable.
> I agree.

I disagree for packages that have at least one co-maintainer.

>>  For those packages that want tighter control perhaps "Private
>> Commits" would be good wording.
> It would be nice if you also needed to give a _good_ reason for making
> it private. Perhaps even a reason which is approved by FESCo in advance.

"I fear that a just sponsored contributer puts something bad in one of
my packages" and "the CTRL+C trick in CVS still works, thus I as
maintainer might not even get a mail if someone changes my package(¹)"
are the reasons why I excluded cvsextras for those of my packages that
have co-maintainers.

OTOH I think we IMHO should have a group in FAS called something like
"experienced maintainers" with sponsors and long term contributers that
gets access everywhere; I trust those way more then a just-sponsored
contributer that came out of the blue.

CU
knurd

(¹) -- not to mention that we are all AFK now and then for a few days