firefox vs epiphany

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:42:11 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 1:39 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> David Nielsen <david <at> lovesunix.net> writes:
> > I use Epiphany, it does what I need without looking out of place, it
> > integrates nicely and it launches much faster. It lacks a few things but
> > it also leverages a lot of nice features (seemless integration with
> > GNOME, adopts theme, icons. Has more consistent translations which don't
> > break with version upgrades) and it has a powerful plugin system so we
> > can expand it in interesting ways.
>
> I use Konqueror, for much of the same reasons, except s/GNOME/KDE/. :-)
>
> About plugins, Konqueror is more extensible than most people think (there's
> mechanisms available like KParts for file formats (as well as support for most
> Mozilla plugins), servicemenus to easily extend the UI (no C++ needed, they can
> launch commands in any scripting language which can talk back to Konqueror
> through DCOP, or D-Bus in KDE 4), KParts can also provide UI extensions
> (Konqueror's search bar is implemented that way), and the sidebar is also
> extensible with plugins), but unfortunately, those features aren't used much
> (except for the file format KParts). :-( But Konqueror has most features you
> may need built-in already, unlike Firefox which relies a lot on plugins.
>
>         Kevin Kofler
>

> --

One of the must fixes with epiphany is to get the name changed
upstream. it conflicts with an older open source boulder dash clone. i
mentioned the problem years ago already and actually it wasnt fixed
yet the last few years. i am also stuck with galeon because it seems
epiphany is trying hard but even after years still fails to offer the
same functionality as galeon has (multi search boxes independent of
each other... etc) and suffers from additional usability problems and
a rather feature unresponsive upstream crowd (no offense... just not
my philosophy). maybe it has less buttons and features enough for the
gnome target audience but for advanced use cases it is definitely not
the tool i use.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. i am curious if upstream cares about the name clash at all.
question of attitude in my eyes.