Planned change to xorg-x11-font-utils

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 23:45:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 22:09 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 décembre 2007 à 16:23 -0500, Adam Jackson a écrit :
> > The bdftruncate script provided by xorg-x11-font-utils drags in a
> > dependency on perl.  As far as I can tell, nothing in the distro uses
> > it.  The font-utils package is required by the various bitmap font
> > packages, as it provides mkfontdir and mkfontscale.
>
> Actually, I wrote last week I'd like font packages not to depend on
> anything, be it "just" xorg-x11-font-utils of full perl. Pre-generating
> fonts-* at build time is easy. Having dynamic fontconfig-like generation
> less so but is not overly difficult either. Both would reduce
> considerably the problems bdftruncate creates.

I agree that we should be able to package core fonts "up front" in the
sense of not needing processing in scriptlets, but I am utterly
unmotivated to make that happen.

> Since you seem to care about it do you want to take over core fonts
> packaging guidelines maintenance? (I want a pony!)

Not even a little bit.  I don't care about core fonts working in the
slightest.  My interest here is just on removing a rather bizarre arc in
the dep graph.

- ajax