Planned change to xorg-x11-font-utils

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Dec 7 06:26:37 UTC 2007

> Adam Jackson <ajackson <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > I plan to drop bdftruncate from font-utils to get rid of the perl bloat,
> > unless someone has a compelling reason not to.
>
> What's the problem with depending on Perl? It's a useful scripting language,
> used in a lot of packages, thus so many things require it that you'll be
> hard-pressed to find a working system without Perl, especially an X11-enabled
> one. For example, kdelibs requires Perl (it's used for things like
> kconf_update), so any KDE system will always have Perl anyway.

Perl is 10MB compressed and 30MB uncompressed. On a system like OLPC
that matters a lot. I remember when I worked on OLPC I did a lot of work
with danpb fixing up Fedora to remove such non-sense dependencies. We
need to care about things like these if we want Fedora to matter in
embedded and virt environments.

      David