BIND will completely drop D-BUS dynamic forwarders table support

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 10:42:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 06:11:48PM -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 07:25 -0600, Jima wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > > This is *exactly* what dnsmasq is designed for. From what I can tell,
> > > the author added dbus support to dnsmasq *specifically* so
> > > NetworkManager could use it. I'm not sure what's up with the disconnect
> > > here. :)
> >
> >   Maybe not NM specifically, but certainly conceptually:
> >
> > "Added method support for DBus (http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus)
> > This is a superior way to re-configure dnsmasq on-the-fly with different
> > upstream nameservers, as the host moves between networks. DBus support
> > must be enabled in src/config.h and should be considered experimental at
> > this point. See DBus-interface for the specification of the DBus method
> > calls supported."
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/network.networkmanager.devel/2005-04/msg00023.html
> http://osdir.com/ml/network.networkmanager.devel/2005-05/msg00012.html
> http://osdir.com/ml/network.networkmanager.devel/2005-04/msg00036.html
>
> The dnsmasq author was very eager to have dnsmasq used by NM back in
> 2005. I haven't found any explanation as to why it didn't happen.
>
> Here's a nice fresh thread, it even links back to this one:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/nm-with-dnsmasq--t4940689.html
>
> They seem really dead set on sticking with bind. Seriously, why?

Why? Generally dnsmasq (or other lightweight) DNS server beat BIND
with executable size and performance on one processor systems. In
other cases like functionality, performance on multi cores and
portability beat BIND other servers. And as I wrote above future of
DNS is in DNSSEC. And I'm not sure if dnsmasq author is eager to
implement it. That's why BIND should not be marked as irrelevant on this
field.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.