BIND will completely drop D-BUS dynamic forwarders table support

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 17:53:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:14 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:37:27AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > With the pull method, it _would_ still be done on changes.  The things
> > that care listen for signals from NM about when the things change, and
> > when they do, they pull the info out of NM.  Nothing here needs to poll
> > to get the info it wants.
>
> Color me confused, if NM sends a message to say "DNS config has
> changed", why doesn't it put the new configuration in the message?
> Why the extra round trip?

Depends; if it's all the DHCP parameters, that's a lot of information to
spam the bus with when possibly nobody will be listening.  Maybe it
doesn't matter because maybe most people DHCP-returned option list isn't
large.

When I really meant with push vs. pull was that currently,
NetworkManager itself has all the D-Bus code to invoke method calls on
named.  That's heavy-pushing, you might almost call it
poking-with-a-telephone-pole.  I don't want to do that anymore, not for
named and not for anything else either.

I'm perfectly fine with pushing out the information in the D-Bus signal.

Dan