OMGWTF !! Remote Desktop in Fedora 8

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Sat Dec 8 14:41:34 UTC 2007

> On Dec 8, 2007 8:45 AM, Kulbir Saini <kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
>>
>>   But the with vncviewer doesn't give you the desktop you have on the
>> server.
>> It creates/initializes another desktop env and give access to it. And Remote
>> Desktop gives access to the exact desktop you have opened on the server. So,
>> when I connect to the Remote Desktop, it unlocks the screen on the server
>> and anybody who is nearby can capture the machine.
>
> This is what you said the first time and I gave you a work around.
> Perhaps implementing an option to keep the desktop blank would be
> useful, in the WinDoze world LogMeIn gives you this option, which is
> what you may be looking for long-term.

  Exactly!

> In the mean time, if you want privacy, create a virtual, hidden
> desktop and then connect to it from were ever you want, from the
> server's desktop or a remote system.  This would be more secure in a
> number of ways including being about to logout, not just lock the
> server's desktop at the end of the day without losing your work.

  I am already using vncviewer this way. But this way, I don't get access to
my kopete message queue which is logged in on the original desktop and not
in the virtual desktop.

> Good luck,
>
> Brett

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Institute: http://www.iiit.ac.in/
My Linux-Blog: http://linux.saini.co.in/
My Web-Blog: http://life.saini.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel on freenode