OMGWTF !! Remote Desktop in Fedora 8

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sat Dec 8 16:45:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 08:26 -0500, Brett Serkez wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2007 7:25 AM, Kulbir Saini <kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
> >
> >    Problem: When I login to my system using 'vncviewer <IP>:0', i can access
> > everything on the remote pc but the problem is the screen on server system
> > (system with <IP>) unlocks and everything that I do remotely is replicated
> > on the actual system.
> >
> >    Somebody will say, wtf? it is designed to be so. But the problem is the
> > screen unlocks and anybody in my lab can capture my system and do whatever
> > he/she wants.
> >
> >    Its a big security issue.
> >
> >    And somebody may even get a heart attack when he/she sees that the mouse is
> > static and no human being is near the pc and still the windows are opening
> > and closing and some text is being typed in terminal :-O :P
>
> This is working as designed.   You can use the vncserver daemon to
> create virtual desktops, as many as the system resources of your
> system can support, these will not be visible on the desktop.   Then
> you can connect to any of these virtual desktops from the console or
> remotely as you desire.

Actually, there are cases when a user or an administrator might need to
remotely access the current running desktop session. Kulbir already
mentioned one (something I myself have often wished ... access to my IM
client from whatever workstation I'm on without interrupting
connection). In such cases, I like the idea that the screensaver stops
and allows the activity on the desktop to show (if I were the user, I
wouldn't want anyone accessing my machine without my knowing it if I was
sitting in front of it with the screen locked). However, I wouldn't want
the keyboard or mouse to be active, either (still requiring an unlock).

If that were to be a feature request (or even a security review),
against what component should it be reported to? Does screensaver even
support just input-locking?
--

Richi Plana