Package alien

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 02:24:50 UTC 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 11:40 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2007 4:24 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > The target for dpkg are not casual users, and casual users won't use it
> > anyway.
>
> And when someone wants to put a dpkg-enabled tool in the distro that
> does target casual users?  It's a slippery slope. We avoid
> being on that slope by not having a fully functional dpkg on the system at all.

Do you want to hassle most people that have a legitimate use just to
protect everyone else?  My level of tolerance is a one time warning,
and then for all security features to *get out of the way*.

Granted, we probably don't need apt-dpkg in Fedora, and synaptic is a
very bad idea in my book, (although I'm sure someone else would
disagree,) but it seems crazy to have to bend over backwards because
there are stupid people around.

-Yaakov