Opinions welcome: Restructuring the system menus

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 17 02:14:15 UTC 2007

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Text Editors', etc, for each and every place there is duplication.  But for
> separation of the basic *GTK based* versus *QT based* applications a submenu
> would work nicely, see next comment.

I think that's an absolutely terrible criterion to group things by. GTK+/GNOME
apps work fine under KDE, Qt/KDE apps work fine under GNOME. While for basic
tasks, there's usually both a KDE and a GNOME app (still I'd like the choice!
OnlyShowIn sucks!), for more advanced tasks there's often only one application,
and I think that's a good thing. It doesn't make sense to waste time rewriting
all applications in Qt/KDE for no reason other than "GNOME sucks"
(independently of whether that's true or not) or the opposite. So I think the
current "clutter" (as you call it), i.e. offering all applications in the same
menu, is the best solution.

        Kevin Kofler