Opinions welcome: Restructuring the system menus

Stewart Adam s.adam at diffingo.com
Mon Dec 17 03:26:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 01:57 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 16/12/2007, Stewart Adam <s.adam at diffingo.com> wrote:
> > As well, I've got 29 applications listed under 'System Tools'. I
> > understand that not everyone does because it obviously depends on which
> > packages you have installed, but many entries do similar tasks
> > (Terminal, Konsole, Konsole Super User Mode). A lot of space could be
> > saved by putting them into a submenu.
>
> Related to this is something that is currently driving me utterly
> crazy with F-8 (not sure if this has changed in rawhide) - why do we
> have
>
> Application->System Tools and
> System->Preferences->System and
> System->Administration.
>
> Most users will not understand the distinction (if indeed there even
> is one). This is in pretty bad need of being rationalised.
>
> For example, one that always catches me out is the SElinux management
> stuff - it used to be  under System->Administration, but is now under
> Applications->System Tools.

Yup, it's been moved to System Tools. This is one of the reasons I
mentioned submenus as an interesting solution, as under System Tools or
Administration if ther was "Security" menu firewall, SELinux, and
password related programs could be placed under it.

I agree with what Jeff mentioned earlier, creating default for all
installs is hard. Creating too many becomes redundant as well. Although
grouping 5+ entries may be of value IMHO (The PulseAudio tools  come to
mind here as well).

Stewart