Opinions welcome: Restructuring the system menus

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 04:33:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 20:10 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:

> I don't think its that bad to have each entry in one menu as long as they are
> different, just adding the actual application name to the front or back of the
> menu text would be fine:
> Text Editor - GEdit
> Text Editor - Mousepad
>
> Mousepad - Text Editor
> Gedit - Text Editor
>
> We've already got that type of setup going on many menus, like gThumb Image
> Viewer and Xpdf PDF Viewer, and both Firefox Web Browser and Epiphany Web Browser.
>
> Either way works fine really and avoids submenus, I just agree with you Stewart
> that the general naming is a bit out of hand when you end up with exact
> duplicates and can't tell what is what until you try it.

We may indeed have to give up the generic naming that was very nice
while we had the luxury to define the menu layout for a single default
install. In the new multi-spin world order, we may have to accept the
"name - generic name" style, even if it break localization to a certain
degree.

For the general problem of menu overcrowding in everything or k+g
installations, I believe that only moving to a dynamic menu system like
bigboard will significantly improve the situation.

Matthias