how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:21:31 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 3:06 PM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> It really depends. There are serious server rooms and there are home
> servers that are more multipurpose. For example one could be a streaming
> server so one could want to use it to listen to music too, but no X.
> But in any case it is not the point. It is plain wrong to specialize
> for a use (for example when logged with a specific dm). It shows that
> the whole design has flaws. The sound server should be usable in all
> situation from the start. Otherwise said, being able to adapt to all
> sort of situation should be in its design.

Is multimedia streaming server/client the predominate outstanding
X-less real-world usage case that needs to be considered for pulse
integration ?  What's the software stack(s) we are talking about?
Mythtv? mpd? elisa?  Are there a configuration of a headless streamer
that can be played with inside fedora project controlled repository?
Or do they all use bits that live in 3rd party repos?

I think if we gave the people who grok pulse at least one specific
software configuration for them to spend a little time playing with,
then we might be able to get a clearer picture on how to move forward
in X-less multimedia server situations.  I think people are sort of
talking past each other, it would help if we all had a target
configuration to duplicate and use as a reference.

-jef