how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Dec 18 00:38:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17.12.07 15:21, Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) wrote:

> Is multimedia streaming server/client the predominate outstanding
> X-less real-world usage case that needs to be considered for pulse
> integration ?  What's the software stack(s) we are talking about?
> Mythtv? mpd? elisa?  Are there a configuration of a headless streamer
> that can be played with inside fedora project controlled repository?
> Or do they all use bits that live in 3rd party repos?
>
> I think if we gave the people who grok pulse at least one specific
> software configuration for them to spend a little time playing with,
> then we might be able to get a clearer picture on how to move forward
> in X-less multimedia server situations.  I think people are sort of
> talking past each other, it would help if we all had a target
> configuration to duplicate and use as a reference.

It's not that PA doesn't work at all on those special no-X-involved
setups. The only limitation is that you need to run PA manually in
such setups. -- No big deal!

I mean, those who are capable to configure their system in such a
non-standard way should also be able to start PA with a simple
"pulseaudio -D" at the appropriate place.

Thus I don't really see the point of the whole discussion. My aim is
to make the default setup work out of the box. And for all other
setups it should be possible to make it work at all. And quite
frankly, I think I mostly managed to achieve that already.

Lennart