how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Dec 18 00:45:03 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 03:21:31PM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Is multimedia streaming server/client the predominate outstanding
> X-less real-world usage case that needs to be considered for pulse
> integration ?  What's the software stack(s) we are talking about?
> Mythtv? mpd? elisa?  Are there a configuration of a headless streamer
> that can be played with inside fedora project controlled repository?
> Or do they all use bits that live in 3rd party repos?

I hope that there is a streaming server in fedora! In fact there seems
to be icecast. As for a client there are many, and I guess that some
have no X interfaces. But once again, a thought experiment is the only
thing needed, not a real case. And it is not very hard, somebody in the
thread clearly presented the situations where PA should work, without
the artificial need to resort to a specific use.

> I think if we gave the people who grok pulse at least one specific
> software configuration for them to spend a little time playing with,
> then we might be able to get a clearer picture on how to move forward
> in X-less multimedia server situations.  I think people are sort of
> talking past each other, it would help if we all had a target
> configuration to duplicate and use as a reference.

I don't think it is of any use. Such situation has to be taken into
account during planning, there is no need for a 'real' case. Of course
it may be useful in later steps, but if not taken into account at the
beginning it is too late later.

--
Pat