how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 05:20:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 15:21 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Is multimedia streaming server/client the predominate outstanding
> X-less real-world usage case that needs to be considered for pulse
> integration ?  What's the software stack(s) we are talking about?
> Mythtv? mpd? elisa?  Are there a configuration of a headless streamer
> that can be played with inside fedora project controlled repository?
> Or do they all use bits that live in 3rd party repos?
>
> I think if we gave the people who grok pulse at least one specific
> software configuration for them to spend a little time playing with,
> then we might be able to get a clearer picture on how to move forward
> in X-less multimedia server situations.  I think people are sort of
> talking past each other, it would help if we all had a target
> configuration to duplicate and use as a reference.

FWIW, I run a headless home music server named musicbox that uses PA and
runs mpd.  When my wife or I want to watch a movie, we just redirect the
sound output from our respective laptops to musicbox.  Mpd has a PA
plugin, so it was quite easy to configure.

The only problem I ran into was in trying to get PA to run as a
system-wide daemon.  I had to track down why it couldn't
open /dev/snd/*, and finally worked out that it was a permissions
problem, easily fixed using ConsoleKit.

All that to say that except for the permissions problems, it just
worked.

Jonathan