how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Dec 18 18:33:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 15:22, Olivier Galibert (galibert at pobox.com) wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 01:46:52PM +0100, Denis Leroy wrote:
> > Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > >
> > >But gdm is?
> >
> > why not start PA from an init script ?
>
> Something is still unclear to be.  Are the PA deamons per-system,
> per-user or per-login session?

As mentioned earlier, PA may be run as system daemon. However, I do
not recommend that.

What I recommend is running it as a session/user daemon. Generally the
daemon is designed to run per-user. However, some modules currently
assume to be run per-session. Since currently multiple simultaneous
logins per user are not really supported by GNOME anyway, I don't see
it as a problem that PA in some areas acts as a per-user and in others
as a per-session daemon. Except for the console login case we can
safely assume that per-session and per-user is the same thing.

Lennart