how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 19:15:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:58 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Why not have a /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
> to start pulseaudio for user sessions?

If that works, I agree that would be a better way to do it.  We should
also delete the esd launching (and associated "preference") from GNOME.
Historically that was around as a "I want my system broken in a
different way" knob to let apps that didn't route through ESD get access
to the sound card (but break mixing).

Pulse releases the sound device if it's not being used, so it is safe to
always start, as far as I can tell.