how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 21:41:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 22:13 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > How is it supposed to be handled in a non PA world?
> >
> > You assign specific alsa devices to specific apps
>
> You're welcome to do that even if login sessions use PA. PA releases
> the audio devices when idle. And thus your kind of setup works as good
> or as bad as it did before. Just use "front:0" or "front:1" as ALSA
> audio device, instead of "default" or "pulse".
>
> Oh, and since you seem to hate PA really that much: just disable it!
> Just remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and you have it back, your naked
> ALSA.

Lennart,
just one question, can I tell PA which device to use if I have more than
one?

Let's say I have regular boxes and an USB audio device (headset), will
PA grab them both? Just one, switch automatically from one to the other
when I plug in the headset ? None of the above?

Simo.

--
| Simo S Sorce |
| Sr.Soft.Eng. |