how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Tue Dec 18 21:54:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:13:12PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Oh, and since you seem to hate PA really that much: just disable it!
> Just remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and you have it back, your naked
> ALSA.

No, we'd just like it to be usable in other contexts than laptops.  We
don't need another NM-like story.  Especially since Fedora would like
to make it mandatory (for very good reasons too).

An example of real use I have at home:

- Main desktop machine is connected to speakers through normal wires
  and to the living room ac3/dts through toslink

- Both the GF & I are usually logged on that machine, her with KDE on
  Ctrl-Alt-F7 and me with fvwm2 on Ctrl-Alt-F8.  Adding pulseaudio -D in
  my startup wouldn't be a problem.

- User switching, as it is, is just C-A-F7/C-A-F8

- Additionally, we often ssh to the machine from our laptops to start
  music using xmms/audacious/mplayer sending on spdif to hear it in
  the living room.  Files are on the desktop machine, so we'd rather
  do X than nfs+pcm over the wifi.

Can PA do that?  Can PA be modified to support that?

  OG.