how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Dec 18 22:01:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:54:43PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:13:12PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Oh, and since you seem to hate PA really that much: just disable it!
> > Just remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and you have it back, your naked
> > ALSA.
>
> No, we'd just like it to be usable in other contexts than laptops.  We
> don't need another NM-like story.  Especially since Fedora would like
> to make it mandatory (for very good reasons too).
>
> An example of real use I have at home:
>
> - Main desktop machine is connected to speakers through normal wires
>   and to the living room ac3/dts through toslink
>
> - Both the GF & I are usually logged on that machine, her with KDE on
>   Ctrl-Alt-F7 and me with fvwm2 on Ctrl-Alt-F8.  Adding pulseaudio -D in
>   my startup wouldn't be a problem.
>
> - User switching, as it is, is just C-A-F7/C-A-F8
>
> - Additionally, we often ssh to the machine from our laptops to start
>   music using xmms/audacious/mplayer sending on spdif to hear it in
>   the living room.  Files are on the desktop machine, so we'd rather
>   do X than nfs+pcm over the wifi.
>
> Can PA do that?  Can PA be modified to support that?

No answer from me on this one, but I would like to make a comment.

This was an excellent example of a well-worded question with specific
and actionable detail, rather than the lot of handwaving I've seen in
several other parts of the thread.

People on IRC have been asking for a way to setup a test environment to
see these scenarios that everybody has been complaining about, but so
far, nobody has given enough detail to actually do anything.

Thank you, Olivier.
--
Michael