how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 23:16:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 2:05 PM, Denis Leroy <denis at poolshark.org> wrote:
> good point, it seems to be a permission with /dev/dsp indeed. Colin is
> right, if PA's user is not actually playing any sound, then it works if
> I chmod /dev/dsp the right way.

does PA's user steal the device back if your mp3 playing is active?

I think one of the missing pieces here is some grassroot training
materials concerning how to handle this sort of re-permissioning for
remote shell logins through ConsoleKit authorization granting.  To me
ConsoleKit seems to be the piece of the puzzle we all need to
understand a little more.  Session Daemons are learning how to
programmatically work with CK through hal, but we are gonna need to
learn how to deal with CK for remote shell and cmdline activity.

-jef