how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 09:46:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 16:33, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:

>> I think one of the problems here is CK runs against a body of shared
>> administration experience
>> in the community. There isn't a shared understanding of how to use CK
>> effectively to get common hardware related admin crap done, so as a
>> result any explanation on how to do something semi-involved as an
>> administrator which boils down to "it uses CK to do it" just doesn't
>> connect.
>
> Yes, that doesn't make any sense to me - even the concept of 'active
> session'.  If your X display is on a nearby machine (or several) but you
> want local audio, is that 'active' or not in PA speak?  What if you have
> mythtv running but not related to a logged in session and also want to log
> in?

You're always welcome to change he default configuration of CK.

The point of CK is that we try to fix a gaping security hole: think of
a university system: a workstation where different people logon/logoff
all the time. Right now, a user may keep open the sound card forever,
and use it to spy people who access the same machine later
on. I.e. use the mike to listen to what they are saying and stuff like
that.

If you don't care about that kind of security than you are always
welcome to change the configuration. But I believe that the default
installation of Fedora should be reasonably secure, and that this
should be a priority.

Lennart