how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 09:54:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 22:54, Olivier Galibert (galibert at pobox.com) wrote:

> No, we'd just like it to be usable in other contexts than laptops.  We
> don't need another NM-like story.  Especially since Fedora would like
> to make it mandatory (for very good reasons too).

Hmm? PA is already activated by default in F8. The plans are already a reality.

> An example of real use I have at home:
>
> - Main desktop machine is connected to speakers through normal wires
>   and to the living room ac3/dts through toslink

PA doesn't really support AC3 out. AC3 is not a free codec, so we will
always have trouble to support something like this.

Also ALSA doesn't really allow us to detect if SP/DIF is available or
not. spdif support is WIP and needs more support from ALSA right now.

That means, for now, you have to use the raw ALSA "spdif" device if
you want to playback audio on spdif. That hasn't changed from pre-PA times.

> - Both the GF & I are usually logged on that machine, her with KDE on
>   Ctrl-Alt-F7 and me with fvwm2 on Ctrl-Alt-F8.  Adding pulseaudio -D in
>   my startup wouldn't be a problem.

You should be using the normal fast-user-switching for that.

> - User switching, as it is, is just C-A-F7/C-A-F8
>
> - Additionally, we often ssh to the machine from our laptops to start
>   music using xmms/audacious/mplayer sending on spdif to hear it in
>   the living room.  Files are on the desktop machine, so we'd rather
>   do X than nfs+pcm over the wifi.
>
> Can PA do that?  Can PA be modified to support that?

PA supports f-u-s just fine, as I think I already wrote about 555
times on this thread.

Lennart