how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 18:09:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19.12.07 18:03, Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) wrote:

> > Now, we don't have such a cool session daemon right now. However,
> > moving things into PAM is definitely the wrong direction. Because in
> > PAM you can only hook code when the session starts and when the
> > session ends. A session daemon like that however needs to constantly
> > monitor all its processes, and thus needs to be running all the time.
>
> You mean must be restarted when it died?

Monitoring process is more than just restarting. You might want to
kill PA when it eats to much CPU, or process its log output. Or handle
core dumps or whatever. Many things I listed require constantly
running supervisers.

> > Now, of course you can fork this monitoring daemon away from the PAM
> > session login code and kill it on logout. But if you do that you are
> > mixing the code that makes up the session with the code that sets up
> > the session.
>
> I can't see why this couln't be possible.

Just because something is "possible" it's not necessarily the right
thing to do.

> It would be nice to have many way of doing it. Including as a shell,
> from X init scripts, from pam, from window manager, and so on and so
> forth.
>
> Still, currently, the only modular place where per login stuff can be
> launched at the administrator will is PAM.

it would be trivial to add code to /etc/profile and
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to allow executing certain hook scripts that
are stored in a special directory on login for the console and login
on X11. Oh wait! We already have that. ;-) It's called
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ and /etc/profile.d/.

However, this is not really useful for the GNOME cases (and neither
for other cases) because gnome-session wants to start PA and upload
the samples itself.

Lennart