PackageACLOpening and NewMaintainerContainment Re: Plan for tomorrows (20071220) FESCO meeting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 13:46:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:15:57 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> I'd like to ask FESCo to please not realize the PackageACLOpening
> proposal without the NewMaintainerContainment. In fact if FESCo should
> I'll continue to lock down my packages just because I fear the risk
> that a just-sponsored-contributers puts something bad (e.g. malicious
> code) into one of my packages in CVS (even if then there are much
> better targets to get bad code out to users easily) and uses the
> CTRL+C trick to prevent a commit message.

I see them as somewhat related as well.  However if you notice from the
proposal that maintainers will be given the opportunity to easily
opt-out of opening their packages, so that we /could/ if we so choose
do the opening now before new maintainer containment is in full swing,
since that will likely prove to take longer to set up.

> While on the CTRL+C issue to prevent commit messages: will FESCo
> continue to ignore it?

From what I gather in the past, there is no way to fix this outside of
moving to a different SCM.  I could be wrong, but quite frankly on the
list of things I'd like to accomplish, fixing this is pretty low on the
list.  I don't think /anybody/ in FESCo would turn down a fix for this,
should some enterprising soul provide one.

> Further: I'd like to ask FESCo to add a rule to that all proposals
> have to be posted to this list as full text with a special tag in the
> subject (something like [Proposal for FESCo voting]) -- currently its
> IMHO way to easy to miss a proposal that come up for FESCo voting.
> And often only links gets posted to the wiki pages -- the result
> afaics is that only a few people click on the link, even less read,
> and even less comment on it; if they comment then in the wiki, where
> others miss it.

That's not a terrible idea.  Would you be willing to work up a "how to
propose something to FESCo" page on the wiki?  I looked for one once I
created an easy to use wiki template that can optionally be used for
creating proposals, but I couldn't find it.  Would you like to make one?

> IOW: no real discussion comes up and contributers don't get involved
> into the decision finding process. That's not what FESCo wants -- or
> is it?

Nope, that's not what we want at all.

--
Jesse Keating