PackageACLOpening and NewMaintainerContainment Re: Plan for tomorrows (20071220) FESCO meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Dec 20 16:22:45 UTC 2007

On 20.12.2007 16:54, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 16:50 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> I didn't say otherwise. I made the "I have something self-explaining
>> that should be corrected without writing a proposal"-experience with
>> another committee in Fedora-land ;-)
>
> Since I'm assuming that you're talking about the FPC here, let me state
> the reason why the FPC requires that all proposals be written up:
> Because otherwise, we forget about them.
>
> If they're written up on the wiki and added to our agenda list, then we
> remember them and discuss them.

a) if there wasn't ACLs in the wiki then I would have done the change in
question myself after a proper discussion on the mailing list. No need
to discuss that in the IRC meetings, no need for wiki changes, less work
for the committee, no need to remember about it for days or weeks. In
short: less bureaucracy for everyone. Sure, if a agreement can't be
found on the list, then the committee in question needs to take care of
it, which brings be to point b:

b) if you want it written down to prevent that you forget it then you
have to write it down yourself now and then if the one that brings a
issue up doesn't do it. That's how I handled it in FESCo when I was
chair and that's how I handle in EPEL atm as well.

Sure, I sometimes missed issues, don't notice that something should be
discussed further and some things fall of the radar after some weeks --
but I bring a lot of things up in the EPEL SIG meetings that were raised
on the list, even if the reporter has moved on to something else in
between. That what I expect from a committee and it's chair.

And sure, I would be happier if people always take care of stuff they
bring up own their own. But they don't, I have to live with it and take
care of the stuff to make sure things get improved, as a lot of people
don't have the energy do deal with committees.

CU
knurd