Delays in package processing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:19:48 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 10:05 AM, Michael Schwendt
<mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:
> That's easy. The spec %changelog entry already ought to explain why the
> update is important. It's the many hundreds small/minor/unimportant
> updates which fill the updates repository and drift away from the original
> release of the distribution. It leads to a scenario where after firstboot
> you are offered so many packages that you're annoyed.

The spoken question here is... are we doing releases the 'right' way
for our target users?
Is our release and updates policy inconsistent?

If lots and lots of updates cause annoyance for fresh installed users,
should we be making a bigger deal about point people to re-spins
as an option?

Do we need to find a secondary way to send updates out to people? If
re really are producing significant updates churn for non-security
updates could we snapshot the updates tree at regular times and offer
it as a torrent image for people to download and use as a local media
repository?  So when you get the gold image, you can also suck down
the latest updates snapshot image and apply updates that way instead
of over the network after firstboot? Also assuming we can have client
side tools which could be told to "update only package updates flagged
as security related" on a daily basis from the network, people could
grab a snapshot of the updates tree when they want to for anything
non-critical.

-jef