Wiki Migration

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 16:27:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 21:19 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Having said that, moving away isn't very feasible either.  We're in a
> tough spot for sure.

It just depends on what you define as feasible, and what your resource
commitment is.

You asked me earlier on IRC:

        "... just so I know are you generally in favor of Moin or just
        not in favor of migration issues + the uncertanty of the future
        wiki not having docbook?"

Mainly the latter.  I have no love lost for Moin Moin, although I think
some of the invective I've seen is ill-placed; a wiki is a wiki, in the
end, and all have similar drawbacks.

Many projects use the wiki as part of their process, but AFAICT none of
that process relies upon features special or unique to Moin Moin.

OTOH, Fedora Docs _may_ rely upon parts of Moin that are special.  We
certainly have a lot of process tied up in Moin, from how markup works
in the wiki so it makes predictable DocBook XML, to how we gather and
organize Docs/Beats/ into the release notes.

Unfortunately, even automated conversion may not help entirely, since
overall the wiki is inconsistent in markup styles.  Fortunately that is
less of the case in the Docs.* namespace.

Bottom line -- it *cannot* be a foregone conclusion that we are
replacing Moin without first gaining consensus from Fedora Docs.  How?
Let's focus on features and specific tooling needs, list them out, and
figure out how to get that with OtherWikis.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org