Delays in package processing

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 16:54:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 10:10 +0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:

> Yeah, we push *way* too many updates and too casually. In my own view an
> update should fix a clearly identified common crasher or some other
> serious problem, but definitely not just because a new version of a
> package appeared upstream.

There are many aspects to be taken into consideration; just because we
ship all kinds of software in one format doesn't mean we should apply
the same rules to all of them.

Server software is obviously something to be very conservative with, for
example.  This implies all of their library dependencies too.

Desktop software - how popular is it?  Is it something we ship on the
default Live CD?  What are the risks of upgrading vs not?  How good has
upstream historically been about regressions?

But we ship a fair amount of stuff that I would consider beta or even
alpha - and upgrading those kinds of things to the new upstream version
is often a nobrainer.