Fedora 8 review

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:14:24 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 8:49 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Hi, I listened to Linux Action Show and I really liked their review of
> > Fedora 8. I believe that this is something Fedora users but also
> > Fedora devels should listen.
> >
> > They give Fedora 8 a really hard but IMHO realistic review, so please
> > listen to it.
> >
> > You can hear the clip with the review part of the podcast here:
> > http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/index.php/archives/fedora-8-audio-review/
> > http://www.archive.org/download/Fedora8ReviewlinuxActionShowEp067/Linuxactionshowep067-Fedora8Review.ogg
> > http://www.archive.org/download/Fedora8ReviewlinuxActionShowEp067/Linuxactionshowep067-Fedora8Review_64kb.mp3
> >
> > or you can listen the whole podcast here:
> > http://www.linuxactionshow.com/?p=158 (Ogg version)
> > http://www.linuxactionshow.com/?p=157 (MP3 version)
> >
> > Valent.
>
> Any chance you can write up a good summary? Esp a list of points which
> they say need improvement, and you agree with, and which we are actually
> capable of improving (iow not support mp3 please, etc.).
>
> regards,
>
> Hans

Just the negatives:

 * well they didn't seem to like the Gnome theme at all
 * they kept making references to "Win2k" and "XP"
 * lack of gradients in notifications
 * anaconda - look is bland
 * anaconda - partitioning screen unintuitive
 * anaconda - not ready for average users (term wtf used)
 * anaconda makes assumptions about knowledge (I happen to think that
anaconda should ask questions myself  and alter UI accordingly)
 * live cd installer has 100% failure rate (failed at formatting
portioning due to trying to copy files _during_ formatting)
 * really stressed how much live cd installer didn't work
 * by installation phase, was of the opinion that Fedora is the least
polished distro currently
 * yum/pup still slow, but not as slow
 * grub screen ugly as sin, especially when followed up by rhgb (made
reviewer grumpy)
 * Gnome online desktop - "not great"  but probably "not ready for evaluation"
 * feels that Fedora still has an identity crisis: stuck between
server and desktop
 * feels that if Fedora is just a proving ground, why should people
use it at all other than for testing
 * reviewer(s) spent 2 weeks with Fedora before review, but will not keep it
 * reviewer(s) felt that other reviews were too lenient

All in all really Gnome specific, so I have little to know opinion on
it. Their sum opinion is that Fedora is only suited as a test platform
- not as a server, not a desktop.

( www.pembo13.com )