anaconda updates / respins

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 22 15:20:05 UTC 2007

On 22.12.2007 16:01, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:48:32 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> Further: we create update images like
>> http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img
>> so those problems we are talking about get analyzed and fixed already.
> Many of the fixes put in update images are fixes in other pieces of
> software, like yum, and not anaconda itself.

But those are afaics the ones that people are interested it. I'd even
assume those where meant when we people mentioned "Fedora 8.5" or "Not
all fixes, but just the installer specific ones would be enough." --
"install specific ones" is likely not anaconda for everyone ;)

>> But the fix is hard to access for some people; and it's a extra step
>> you need to know about. All we'd need to do is to get this and similar
>> *small* updates into a updated install iso image  and we'd make a lot
>> people happy that currently have a hard time installing Fedora.
> That's what Unity does, and I applaud them.

I do as well, but seems with a bit of support from Fedora their stuff
could be a lot better and easier to build:
http://kanarip.blogspot.com/2007/09/updating-anaconda-between-releases.html

Further: I think Fedora as a whole should be more flexible and have a
experimental area; a place within the project where stuff like the
respins can be developed and tested and easily become official once we
see if it works.

Cu
knurd