Firefox 3 Beta 2 in Rawhide

Martin Stransky stransky at redhat.com
Sun Dec 23 09:06:08 UTC 2007

Denis Leroy wrote:
> Since i maintain galeon, i got word from an upstream developer that
> xulrunner is still not exactly in a nice state to work with. To quote
> him: "I'm holding off on this until mozilla sorts out the microb
> problem. Apparently a good chunk of the brokenness is due to a bunch of
> unreviewed microb (the n800 browser) patches being committed. They claim
> they are going to back them out. Hopefully after that, [galeon] won't be
> so crippled.".

> I know almost nothing about mozilla/xulrunner upstream development, but
> I have to ask: it's not just them (the packages that depend on firefox)
> that have to be ready for xulrunner, will xulrunner also be ready for
> them ? :-) (i.e. with enough time for maintainers/upstream to port/debug ?)

I hope this will be fixed before the final firefox 3 release. If you
have any serious problem please file a bug at bugzilla.mozilla.org (or
bugzilla.redhat.com and I'll move it upstream).

Things are still fresh and any feedback is highly appreciated.

> If it comes to that, I hope we can debate whether it should not be
> xulrunner that gets dropped and firefox-devel restored (assuming that's
> even possible).

We are not going to ship two firefox versions (2 and 3). Xulrunner-devel
is generally a firefox3-devel package, there isn't any difference and I
believe all developers will be able to transfer their packages to
Firefox 3 (or xulrunner in our distro).

Martin