how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Sun Dec 23 23:43:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> What we really want is some kind of init-like babysitter as the
> session manager. (...)
> I try to push Scott Remnant with his InitKit into that direction. (...)
> While the
> dependency trees are certainly much simpler for GNOME sessions than
> for system bootup it is basically the same problem, so it would be
> great to handle both the same way by the same code.

Sounds like you're advocating InitKit to build upon init[ng] being
"init[ng] for sessions".

And it intuitively strikes me as a good idea.

With the percieved slowness in session start discussed in other
threads, the parallelizing nature of especially initng could be put to
good work here. (Or I misunderstood the details entirely.)

Linus