Firefox 3 Beta 2 in Rawhide

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Dec 24 07:39:11 UTC 2007

Martin Stransky wrote:
> Denis Leroy wrote:
>> Since i maintain galeon, i got word from an upstream developer that
>> xulrunner is still not exactly in a nice state to work with. To quote
>> him: "I'm holding off on this until mozilla sorts out the microb
>> problem. Apparently a good chunk of the brokenness is due to a bunch
>> of unreviewed microb (the n800 browser) patches being committed. They
>> claim they are going to back them out. Hopefully after that, [galeon]
>> won't be so crippled.".
>
>> I know almost nothing about mozilla/xulrunner upstream development,
>> but I have to ask: it's not just them (the packages that depend on
>> firefox) that have to be ready for xulrunner, will xulrunner also be
>> ready for them ? :-) (i.e. with enough time for maintainers/upstream
>> to port/debug ?)
>
> I hope this will be fixed before the final firefox 3 release. If you
> have any serious problem please file a bug at bugzilla.mozilla.org (or
> bugzilla.redhat.com and I'll move it upstream).
>
> Things are still fresh and any feedback is highly appreciated.
>
>> If it comes to that, I hope we can debate whether it should not be
>> xulrunner that gets dropped and firefox-devel restored (assuming
>> that's even possible).
>
> We are not going to ship two firefox versions (2 and 3). Xulrunner-devel
> is generally a firefox3-devel package, there isn't any difference and I
> believe all developers will be able to transfer their packages to
> Firefox 3 (or xulrunner in our distro).

Ah i see, so the porting problems stem from the transition to firefox 3
(gecko 1.9), not so much from the the xulrunner packaging transition.
That makes sense, thanks.

Finally had a chance to try galeon on rawhide (tough to run rawhide on
vmware currently), unfortunately it segfaults on startup.

Maybe we should create a firefox/mozilla/xulrunner SIG, to bring
together the people that are comfortable around mozilla code ? The SIG
page could track the various porting efforts to gecko 1.9.