Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Dec 30 14:45:13 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> >> Where should this be fixed?  Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings
> >> governed
> >> by the daemon get the daemon running if needed?  Can't GNOME apps be
> >> made to
> >> look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running?  What
> >> if
> >> gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed?  Should KDE start
> >> gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?
> >
> > I guess we should be checking if gnome-settings-daemon is installed and
> > running it if it is, in an autostart script in kdebase(-workspace) or
> > kde-settings. But I'll discuss this with the other KDE SIG folks.
>
> IMO, this isn't a "kde"-specific problem per-se, this same issue will arise
> using any desktop != gnome.  To me, begs the question, why don't gnome
> apps "just work" when launched outside of a gnome environment?

Right, that would be preferable.  (I actually asked that question in a bunch
of different forms in my initial mail.)  But without knowing anything about
whether it's considered a "feature" or if it's hard to fix or not, I think
launching the daemon in $DE session startup scripts would be an acceptable
and easy enough temporary fix until there's a better solution.

Interestingly enough, some apps seem to launch the daemon if it's not already
running.  For example clicking some (but not all) buttons in
gnome-control-center do it.  That doesn't happen with the majority (or any?)
of other GNOME/GTK apps I regularly use though.