Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Dec 31 01:02:37 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 13:00 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> > Where should this be fixed?  Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings governed
> > by the daemon get the daemon running if needed?  Can't GNOME apps be made to
> > look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running?  What if
> > gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed?  Should KDE start
> > gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?
>
> I guess we should be checking if gnome-settings-daemon is installed and running
> it if it is, in an autostart script in kdebase(-workspace) or kde-settings. But
> I'll discuss this with the other KDE SIG folks.

What should rather happen is that kde should run an xsettings manager
that maps kde settings to xsettings where it makes sense. That will let
you use kde tools to configure gtk applications, at least for basic
things that are covered by xsettings. I thought there was an xsettings
manager for kde somewhere. Does the Fedora KDE include that ?