Re: Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 11:10 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Ralf> I don't have any reasons to trust this URL smolt sends it data too.
>
> In principle I think this site should be controlled by the fedora project.

Why do you think are people disabling log-in prompts,
forging/suppressing server id-strings, not using HINFO records in named
etc. ?

.. for not exposing details to the public to prevent them from exposing
them from avoidable unnecessarily vulnerabilities.

Not worth mentioning, jerks sneaking on connections, theft of the data
base, connecting this data with data available from other sources and
selling this data ...

This consideration alone is sufficient reason for me to classify smolt
as non-acceptable.

> I didn't look to see whether it is or not.  But in any case IMO it
> ought to be approximately as trustworthy as the standard yum servers.
>
> The smolt data looked quite nice to me.  Good stuff to know.
Pardon, but you'd better never mention the word "security" in a Fedora
context again ;)

Ralf