Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Feb 1 17:39:26 UTC 2007

tor, 01 02 2007 kl. 10:07 -0500, skrev Christopher Aillon:

> > RH> And how many joe-average Linux users know what the contents of
> > RH> /sys/power/state is? Also, my girlfriend has no concept of what
> > RH> "ram" is, and why it should be faster than "disk".
> >
> > RH> She does understand the speed difference between suspend and
> > RH> hibernate.
> >
> > I don't think I'll ever be able to remember which of suspend and
> > hibernate means suspend-to-disk. Perhaps its easier for native English
> > speakers, or perhaps I need my brain fixed.
>
> Then use the English dictionary to learn that hibernate is what some
> animals, e.g. bears as a long sleep over the winter, thus is considered
> a longer sleep.
>

> Or, use a mnemonic device of some sort to help.  For example, spell them
> out:
>
> Suspend    <-- shorter (less letters)
> Hibernate  <-- longer  (more letters)
>
> Suspend takes the shorter time, and is RAM, and hibernate takes longer
> to do, thus suspend to disk.

A problem you are overlooking is that the whole suspend, hibernate,
sleep thing doesn't translate well at all. I had the (dis)pleasure of
translating gnome-power-manager and you end up trying to convey slight
technical differences in languages which sometimes don't have direct
equivalents..

- David Nielsen

--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”