Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 19:17:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 19:44 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:

> I wasn't picking on you Richard but I'm sure translators will take any
> help they can get though.

Sure, I'll blog about the suspend hibernate nomenclature for translators
and see if we can get a pseudo-standard sorted for all locales.

See http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/SleepNames for the list so
far.

> Do I need to put down the crack pipe?

Whilst I understand the simplification for users argument, I think
suspend (computer still "on", takes about 10 seconds) and hibernate
(computer "off", takes about a minute and a half) are sufficiently
different to give the user a choice if they have both working.

g-p-m already just modifies it's preferences automatically if only one,
or neither "should" work on the system.

Richard.