Default MTA for Fedora 7

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Sat Feb 3 21:09:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 03:38:35PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2007 15:12, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> > The bug got closed by J. Katz after classification as "NOTABUG". The
> > argument was that the "sendmail" command is provided by several packages in
> > "FC/FE" without particular ranking and "exim" simply seems to win by
> > alphabetical order compared to "postfix" or "sendmail" .. :-/
>
> Do you have any other suggestions on how to programattically decide what
> choice out of many options you'd use to satisfy a dep?
>
> fooz
> barz
> billy
> go
>
> All of these virtually provide /usr/bin/whizbang  and use alternatives to
> handle this.
>
> bingo requires /usr/bin/whizbang, and doesn't care which one.  What way to you
> decide which to grab?  Currently yum does a sort of all that
> provide /usr/bin/whizbang and picks the one at the top.  Shorter names sort
> before longer ones, so in this case, 'go' wins.

The "shorter wins" makes sure we have a defined way. But for yum one even
better way of doing this might be to also check the comps file. If one
of the choices is mentioned there, then only use that one instead of the
above ranking.
This of course also means you'd have to mention sendmail in the comps/selection
file.

regards,

Florian La Roche