Default MTA for Fedora 7

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Sun Feb 4 10:37:34 UTC 2007

Joachim Frieben wrote:
>> I just checked the contents of the DVD image, and the only MTA I can
>> find there is Exim. I guess that's the real reason.
>>
>> /Thomas
>
> No, this is not the real reason. "exim" is even preferred when both "Core" and "Extras" repositories are enabled while a program requiring "/usr/sin/sendmail" is scheduled for install. For instance, this can happen after a minimum install. In ordinary cases [e.g. desktop install], "sendmail" gets picked up during system install since it is listed in "comps.xml".
Still - Only Exim is available on the DVD.
If something else is our *default* MTA, it would probably be a good idea
to include that one on the DVD instead, wouldn't you agree. We can argue
about what yum picks up as preferred for whatever reason, but when only
one included package (Exim) provides /usr/sbin/sendmail, that whole
discussion is pointless. If sendmail og postfix was on the DVD as well,
that would be another case, but they're not.

/Thomas