WLAN: link must be UP before ESSID is set

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 20:16:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 22:04 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On new USB stick WLAN interface (driver zd1211rw) it seems that the
> 'ip link set $DEVICE up' needs to be done before ESSID is set for the
> card to come up at all. (On the other hand, for example, the old
> orinoco_cs doesn't require this.)
>
> Even though DHCP client (run after ESSID is set) brings up the link,
> the WLAN card is not associated to the AP (the state as shown below),
> and IP doesn't work yet.
>
> zd1211rw people had the opinion that this is a problem with ifup:
>
> "This is a distro bug - it should bring the interface up before using
> it. Many drivers require the interface to be up before scanning is
> possible, since for a lot of hardware, scanning is just transmission
> and reception of frames so requires the entire MAC layer to be
> activated just the same as if you were transmitting/receiving data."
>
> Should this be fixed by setting the link up before setting ESSID in
> ifup-wireless (or even before setting some other iwconfig options)?

Likely, yes.  The device should be brought up before setting stuff on
it.  Some devices don't load firmware until you bring the device up.

Ideally though, drivers should be caching the settings that userspace
pushes down, and on ifup blasting those settings to firmware.  But many
softmac drivers don't yet do this.

dan