Re: Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

On 30.01.2007 18:22, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Phil Knirsch schrieb:
We've recently started working on a project called Linux Hardware
Project or in short LHCP.
Nice. But well: It sound like yet-another-hardware-compatibility-list to
me. Thus I'm wondering: Don't we have enough of those already? You link
to several yourself on
So why yet another approach? Why not co-operate with one of those? Or
wait, let's do it even better: Try to work together with all of those
those and solve the problem once and for all *properly* and in a general
way? Read that as: cooperate with at least Novell/Opensuse, Debian and
Ubuntu and maybe get OSDL ^w TLF on board (from the start of). [...]

Seems I didn't get much replies on this besides the post from Aurelien. :-(

Anyway, there is yet a new effort out there that tries to solve the "is my hardware compatible to my operating system/linux" problem. And it not even tries to be cross-distribution, it tries it to solve it this problem for all major Operating Systems:

The CompatDB.org project is an attempt to create a free (as in the freedom) standard for user submitted compatibility lists as well free compatibility lists for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.
The following operating systems are currently supported by CompatDB.org:
Linux: [...] Fedora Core [...]